Standing at the Crossroads of Power and Choosing Wisely:
A Journey of Self-Discovery with the Goddesses of Antiquity
Through the Eyes of Shamanism
An Online Course Series for 2014
With Shaman Healer and Teacher Lynn Andrews
Shamans, Goddesses and the Wisdom Keepers of the Inner Fire:
Discovering the Face of the Earth Goddess of Your Consciousness.
February 20 – March 19, 2014.
Registration Is Closed
Everything comes from nothing. Our universe is magnificent in its manifestations of power, but when you go to the center, when you go to the beginning of things, you move, not out into the world for your instruction, but to the interior world, the universe that lives within. It is from the essence of that universe that all life is born.
–Agnes Whistling Elk
We live in a time of vision, a time of new beginnings when the people of Mother Earth are eager for a new and more balanced way of life.
When something is out of balance, it is because there is something else that is missing. What is missing from our lives and our world today and for the last 5000 years is the intimate knowledge and incorporation of the primal woman, the First Mother, the Great Goddess of our homecoming, whose energy and gifts of compassion, wisdom and nurturance were worshipped, understood and integrated into the lives of our ancestors for 40,000 years … until she was torn from our lives and cast to the netherworlds during the rise of the male deity. We have carried the memory of her deep within our very DNA ever since, knowing something is there but not knowing what it is or how to access it.
In this series of Online Courses, we are going to explore this original goddess wisdom from many different vantage points, and we are going to walk the wisdom alive within us by physically walking it around the sacred wheel of the four directions of Mother Earth. Shamanism teaches that we only really learn about ourselves through personal experience, not through someone else standing there and telling us who we should be and what should and should not be important to us.
You are going to experience on a very personal and individual level what it is you gain by reconnecting with the original goddesses, the primal woman and your own primal essence.
You are going to experience in a very personal way the powerful impact that 5000 years of cultural stereotyping has had not just on our societies but on you, yourself.
As you do this, your energies begin to shift and change and a new vision for living begins to emerge, a new and very dynamic sense of self.
You emerge a person of knowing, guided by your primal essence and your own voice of spirit to be who you are and celebrate others for who they are, different from one another yet all part of the great Oneness of existence, all part of the First Mother.
Since time immemorial, Gaia (or Gaea) has been Divine, the primordial earth goddess, the living presence of the earth, itself, the volcano and the earthquake; the mother of the beginning, not simply "mother" but Earth Mother who brought forth the human world from the great void – Chaos – where there was "simply emptiness, pure potentiality, a yawning abyss," according to Hesiod, writing in the 8th century B.C.E. Even Greek pantheon of gods acknowledged her presence since long before their rise.
She is the only goddess who is a pure goddess without human attributes, never subdued by mankind. Her presence is in all that is: our "Gaia aspect" reminding us of all that cannot be controlled, the ever-renewing life that also encompasses death. She is the essence of our primal sense of self, and the loss of her and of the sacred feminine has had a disastrous effect on our world for all of us, man and woman, alike. It is the loss of the compassion, love, intuitive wisdom and nurturing that are the cornerstones of goddess wisdom and energy, the cornerstones, really, of life, itself.
- We begin with Gaia in the south of the sacred wheel, home of earth and physical manifestation. We are going to walk the wildness of Mother Earth within ourselves, her eruptions and her places of sublime serenity, the vastness of her horizon as it expands our vision both of the world around us and of the potential within, showing us how to see with our shaman eyes and reconnect with our primal sense of self.
- We will experience Hestia within ourselves, the ancient goddess of meditative wisdom, archetype of self and the goddess of the "fire at the center of the hearth" who shows us the importance of making our homes a sacred sanctuary for all who enter. When she was her own goddess, people brought her in to sanctify their homes and their sacred places of worship. Later, after she was made one of the original Olympians of Greek antiquity, she was moved to the very fringes of the world. How has this loss affected the way we view the importance of our homes, our communities, our connection with the sacred and with and having a place of sanctuary from which to view the world?
- We will connect with the energy and journey of Hera, the ancient goddess of marriage and archetype of the wife, and experience with her the lessons of her later tortured journey as the wife of Zeus. Before Zeus, she presided over the sacred marriage and was venerated as the goddess of women and fecundity, connected to the three stages of the moon and the three stages of a woman’s life (maidenhood, fertile woman and old wise one). Through her marriage to Zeus, she was denigrated to the status of jealous, quarrelsome and vindictive woman. As we walk her story inside ourselves, we experience how this denigration has affected the way we look at ourselves as women and the vulnerabilities of women, in general, and our own vulnerabilities, in particular, especially in partnership with others.
- We are going to work with the goddess Demeter, the mother archetype and goddess of grain and agriculture, strongly connected to Gaia and Isis, who brought all things to life and brought them back to her bosom at death, as we look at our beliefs about prosperity and abundance and how this plays out in our homes and at work. How are your beliefs about prosperity affecting you? Are they fencing you into a life of struggle because you do not believe abundance is there for you? Clogging your home, your psyche and your energy with the need to acquire mindlessly in an effort to fill your life with something? Come, Demeter awaits you!
- When you look at Hester, Demeter and Hera, all swallowed by their father at birth, cut off from their mothers and left "wildly unmothered," what do you see in your own vital relationship with mothering, with your own mother or yourself as mother, the mothering of children and the mothering of your own acts of power in the world? Do you nurture them to fruition? Abandon them unfinished or hold them too tightly so that you strangle their life force? How does your world view change as you confront this ‘head on’ so to speak, taking these goddess energies within you and applying them to what works and does not work in your own life?
- We are going to create our first goddess mask, the face of the goddess or god you truly are in the south of the wheel …and so much more, as we ignite the fire within our belly!
Please join me on a magnificent journey as you learn to walk the sacred wheel of the four directions, the four seasons of the inner fire, filling yourself with the energy and wisdom of the goddesses everywhere you go.